Sunday, April 12, 2009

Happy Easter

On the table- ceramic eggs in a basket made by my mother during her years as a potter. Every year since I was a child, we've made Mabelle's snickerdoodle for Easter breakfast. This sweet treat must be named after the snickerdoodle cookie- both have cinnamon as the primary flavor.
The recipe comes from this book, written in 1949 by James Beard. It must have been very modern for its time with chapters on herbs, spices and wines. This isn't my mother's copy- she still has hers, complete with its dustcover. I found my copy in a used book store and it smelled a little musty. I really wanted my own copy so I bought it and sprinkled the pages with corn starch when I got home. That took the smell away and only occasionally do I feel just a little dusting on a page.







I bake mine in a 9 by 13 inch pan at 375 degrees for a little over 20 minutes. I seem to remember that my mother usually burned the bottom of hers.
I've always wondered who Mabelle was- if I find out, I'll let you know. There is a recipe in the book for her turkey casserole too but I haven't tried that.

4 comments:

Rustic Pumpkin said...

Sugary, cinnamon pastries have to be one of my favourites, so I shall have to try this recipe! Love the multi-coloured eggs, and the basket is so sweet.

Calico Kate said...

Snickerdoodles, what a wonderful word. Anything called this must be wonderful!
CKx

arosebyanyothername said...

I shall try these next time my grandaughter comes to stay. I think she will like the name Snickerdoodle. I love old cookery books. I have a couple - one of them from the war time so the recipes are a bit austere.

TIGGYWINKLE said...

As I love cinnamon, I must make your Snickerdoodles. Great name!