Friday, November 6, 2009

Fading beauty

Hydrangeas give so much to a garden throughout the entire year. From their fresh green leaves in the spring to their voluptuous blossoms through the summer. Their beauty begins to fade a bit in the fall but even then, they are fascinating to watch. This delicate blossom is from a lace-cap hydrangea in my garden. Blue in the summer and now pink.
I love all of the shades that appear as the season progresses and the blossoms dry.
Shades of teal, celedon, mauve, purples and inky blues.
The leaves change color too- sometimes to yellow and sometimes with this blackening on the tips.
And some change to autumn hues with russets and gold.
One variety, Hydrangea quercifolia or Oakleaf Hydrangea, is noted for its beautiful foliage- especially in the fall.
But, it is the beautiful flowers with their paper-like petals, slowing changing as the weeks pass, that capture my heart.

5 comments:

Ivy said...

the pictures reminded me of a poem by Rainer Maria Rilke. Here the best translation I could find:

This translation is by Bernhard Frank

Like in old cans of paint the last green hue,
these leaves are sere and rough and dull-complected
behind the blossom clusters in which blue
is not so much displayed as it's reflected;
They do reflect it imprecise and teary,
as though they'd rather have it go away,
and just like faded, once blue stationery,
they're tinged with yellow, violet and gray;
As in an often laundered children's smock,
cast off, its usefulness now all but over,
one senses running down a small life's clock.
Yet suddenly the blue revives, it seems,
and in among these clusters one discovers
a tender blue rejoicing in the green.
Translation by Bernhard Frank at http://www.germanic.ucla.edu/ngr/ngr13/trrilke.htm
Copyright 1997-1998: New German Review

blackbird said...

Thank you Ivy for sharing that wonderful poem. I think that he could be speaking of just these flowers.

Rustic Pumpkin said...

Oh, Blackbird, I am so behind, I've not followed any blogs now for nearly two months. So sorry, I just haven't the energy at the moment. But I have just looked at the beautiful pictures of hydrangea here and I have to comment. Thank you bringing some beauty into my sad days. The subtlty of the colours is heavenly, truly they are gorgeous. Lucky you, and lucky me for stopping in tonight. Thank you. Hugs CH xx

Pomona said...

I love the colours of the hydrangeas - really, really beautiful, and a joy to see on this grey day!

Pomona x

Safi Crafts said...

Hi! I just saw the muchroom at the top of your blog. Did you see it down by the retirement home in Lower Queen Anne? There was a whole bunch of them there until yesterday when someone knocked them all over. Aren't they amazing!