Saturday, December 19, 2009

Snow under glass

For many of you, this is the view as you look out the window- this week before Christmas. But, not here in Seattle where the skies are grey and wet and the temperatures are in the mid-40's. So, to see snow swirling around in clouds and settling on the trees- I have to go to my collection of snow globes. I love the way that they reflect the light and how each one contains a little world of its own. (The one above has a log cabin, a red truck and a snowman looking like spots of confetti in the curtain of snow.)
This year, for Christmas, they reside on the top shelf of a sideboard that has been covered with wrapping paper- it badly needs a new coat of paint.
Just like real snow- some are flakes that are so tiny that they float in the air and
other are huge flakes that sink to the ground like wet paper. I wish that I had a red truck like this one to bring my Christmas tree home.
I do have a black dog who stands outside my house when it snows and sniffs the air. But, I don't have a cabin by a lake, complete with a little forest and a boat.
This little fox holds a special spot in my heart as it was the first of the group to come home in 1997. Every year since then, another has arrived as a surprise gift from my daughter. I can't wait to see what perfect little world join us this year.

4 comments:

Rowan said...

I don't have any snow globes but I do like them, always play with them if I see them in a shop:)

Cathy said...

Your snow globe collection is wonderful and so festive. Let's just hope all the snow stays in the globes and doesn't end up on the streets like last year.

My grandson is absolutely obsessed with my nutcracker snow globe. They are magical.

Tattieweasle said...

What beautiful thigs they are - I'm afraid I would never be able to resisit giving them a quick shake. Wonderful.

love those cupcakes said...

We have a fair bit of the real white stuff here in the UK but that collection of yours is splendid. Hope you and yours have a magical Christmas.