Monday, January 11, 2010

An anitdote for grey

This is the sky at 8:30 this morning after the sun had crept up from the mountains to the east. The days are short in January and today was the kind of day, here in the northwest, that many people have problems with. It never seems to be completely daytime but, instead, a sort of twilight. Speaking of Twilight, Forks had 4.22 inches of rain in the past 24 hours.

I woke to mild temperatures and heavy rain that continued through the morning. With no plans or need to go out, I made a couple of pumpkin pies and started reading 'The Winter House' by Nicci Gerrard. This was an impulse buy encouraged by reading Karen's review on Cornflower Books. It is a perfect book for today as the scenery around me has gone all grey and black.
This is the sky at 3pm as the rain began to taper off.
I love deciduous plants for all sorts of reasons but, in particular, the starkness of their branches against the winter sky. They seem perfect for each other.

7 comments:

Jan Davis said...

Grey is not the word. My house was so dark this morning. It can't be healthy!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, but yesterday was nice, as I kept trying to remind myself while having to turn lights on to see anything today. :) Glad you cozied up with a book and pies, seems like the best way to spend a gloomy-out January day. - Karen

Ravenhill said...

Grey can be so lovely! You have certainly captured several variations so nicely!qq

Anonymous said...

on the way to the hospital the hedges seemed so black in th elocal town today now the snow has gone down there.
still snow up here

T. said...

Grey contains an infinite number of shades and moods, if one can see past the gloom to be able to take it all in. (Although my husband thinks I'm crazy on this point!)

Love your photos, and the fact that they, well, contain only grey (except for the branches).

Pondside said...

That grey sky is just like the one up here - same sky though, isn't it?
I loved your winter jasmine. I have some too and this year because of the deer fence, it actually bloomed. I can't wait for the daffs to come up!
I like your mock rib and will try it too. I wonder if I could make a baby touque with it. I'll give it a try.
You're right in what you said in your comment - we both know that 'there but for the grace of God .....' as far as earthquakes go. We've felt the ground heave and it's pretty scary. We have our supply of food and water, batteries and wind-up radios and lights, but one never knows........

Bee said...

The Winter House . . . that sounds most suitable for the season. We might as well embrace the grey, as it doesn't look likely to disappear.

You've reminded me that I have precious cans of pumpkin (my mother brought them from the U.S.) in the pantry.

p.s. Is Forks far from you?