Saturday, February 27, 2010

Sweet Daphne

The Winter Daphne, Daphne Odora, is blooming now- exactly when it is supposed to. Its heavy fragrance fills the air and its beautiful pink, waxy flowers are a delight. It's a handsome plant year round- even without its flowers. This plant is a Marginata variety and its dark green leaves are edged with pale yellow.
Daphnes grow well here in Seattle as they prefer a slightly acid soil and not too much sun and heat in the mid-day. They can be fickle plants and I think that the best that a gardener can do is to plant it where you want it and hope for the best. I've seen them planted in full sun in a southern exposure and others nestled in on the north side of a house.
They are notorious for being relatively short lived and I lost mine last year after 7 years. But, I will plant another and in the meantime- enjoy the ones along my walks.


1 comment:

Rowan said...

Daphnes are wonderful aren't they? I have Daphne odora planted in my front garden and it's beautiful from late winter well into the Spring and smells heavenly. Have Daphne mezereum in the back put in as a tiny twig about 3 years ago, it's growing but so far has never flowered - maybe this will be the year!