
Today, the public schools in Seattle started their school year without me. For 23 years, I've waved goodbye to one or the other of my children at the school steps and returned home to a quiet house. I think that September will always mark the time of new beginnings for me- a time for fresh starts, renewed energy and endless possibilities. A time to look forward, experiment and grow. Because isn't that what each school year offers?
This stormy sunset photo isn't from last night when the weather was it's normal back-to-school grey and wet. Instead, it was an evening in June when we attended my son's graduation ceremony. The rain held off but the breeze was stiff enough to make us glad that we had brought coats along. My son said that it was only windy on the boys side- not the girls- but I can tell him that wasn't true.

I tend to be a bit of a weeper at events and sure enough, as soon as 'Pomp and Circumstance' started up, so did I. It was a stirring sight as the river of red and black gowned young adults made their way into Memorial Stadium.
The program was good but short which is always a blessing. The graduates were restless and eager to be done with all of this, and high school. I didn't get a decent photo of the tossing of their hats into the air- they were lost in the night sky. And then it was down onto the field for hugs and family photos.

So, is it the end or the beginning? Both, I guess.

A couple of weeks later, my son headed off to Europe with 3 of his good friends and a wallet full of foreign currency, his passport and his debit card. They were gone a month, visited 5 countries and came back happy and healthy. It must be just the beginning.
5 comments:
It's always a bittersweet time when the last of your children leaves school and you all move on to a different stage of life. It takes a bit of adjusting to but does have its advantages:) Glad to hear that your son enjoyed Europe, a great way to begin the next part of his life.
It really is a bittersweet time. My two were far enough apart in age that I spent 20 years following them through to the end of high school. Just one left in the undergraduate world now, but she'll get her degree next spring.
Where did the time go?
I know what you mean about this time of year, even though my two left school several years ago (one is starting his final year at university). If it's any consolation, I would have joined in with the weeping at that piece of music. It doesn't take much to set me off these days!
I am still at teh beginning of that journey and I am so glad to hear that when it ends , it's only really the start of a new chapter. suonds like you Boy had a great time, ooh that I were young and carefree again..but I might be well not young but carefreee in a couple of decades to do exactly what he did as you say only the beginning...
PS does that comment make any sense???!!!
And with nobody in school, to what (or to whom) have your interests turned?
Post a Comment