Saturday, April 25, 2009

Afternoon at the park

It was a perfect spring day in Seattle yesterday and I was lucky enough to spend it at Volunteer Park up on Capital Hill. F, J and I went up to see the show at the Seattle Asian Art Museum before it left town. It was J's birthday week so we celebrated with a picnic lunch in front of the museum, in the sun by the camels.
These are the camels of my childhood. Well, not the actual ones- since 1991, the Ming Dynasty originals have been housed in the main Seattle Art Museum building downtown- safe from the elements and people. I remember the feel of the originals- slick, cold marble polished smooth by thousands of hands and bottoms.

These camels don't feel like the old ones- they are made of concrete and have a rough coarseness to them. But, I'm glad that they are there- flanking the entrance to the museum. It's a delight to see people of all ages touch them and sometimes climb aboard for a ride.
We had a great lunch- two kinds of salad- one was a corn, black bean and avocado salad dressed with a homemade salsa, the other was orzo, tomatoes, cucumber and feta dressed with just a drizzle of olive oil. Followed by brownies still warm from the oven.

5 comments:

Rustic Pumpkin said...

I am getting more hungry by the minute reading about your lovely picnic; what a glorious day you had for it. The exhibition sounds great, I'm glad you saw it before it moves on. CHxx

Barbara said...

Hi! Nice to meet you.
It was good to get to walk in the park in Seattle today and it culd have been here in England.

Thanks for visiting and commenting.

alaine@éclectique said...

A lovely day out and those salads sound mouthwatering! What's Orzo? LBx

blackbird said...

Oh Coccinella,

Orzo is a type of pasta- shaped like a grain of rice and a little larger when it's cooked. Its small size works well in salads or soups.

I love pasta of any shape!

alaine@éclectique said...

Oh, well, there you go, I've learnt something yet again. A friend served us up a delicious salad when we were in Tasmania and included won-ton wraps, which gave a nice, added texture.

It's getting quite chilly here; I'm making a stew tonight. Our salad days are over.

Oh, and we're getting snow not far from here - it's falling on the recent fire-ravaged mountains, white on black.