Sunday, April 5, 2009

Spring day

Spring came to Seattle this weekend with a morning that was full of warm sunlight that colored the plum blossoms a rosier shade of pink.


I have heard many people speak of quiet desperation when they have mentioned our spring weather this year. It's been too long, too cold, too wet and windy and enough snow that the school kids moan when they look out the window. But, I think that maybe it isn't just the weather. I think that we are a bit beaten down and vulnerable. After getting through a nasty election season, we were immediately plunged into news of bad economic times. The stress and uncertainty of it is a heavy weight for all of us and makes us unsure of our capabilities. And, it seems to make the cold and dark even colder and darker.

But, the weather is warming- prodding even the most reluctant plants into growth. And maybe, just as the casual walker doesn't notice all of the plant growth and activity that goes on even in the depths of winter, we haven't yet noticed the stirrings of our global economy.



Today is the last day of spring break and in the morning, the house will be mine again. For one, it's been a busy week of paintballing, video games and late nights of a game called 'fugitive' which seems to involve teams hunting each other throughout the neighborhood. For another, it's been long days of painting at Kate's house and nights of interrupted sleep with groups of boys arriving home late, dogs barking and the occasional 3am wrong phone number. And, walks with Jack.

This wall that is part of the boulevard that circles the hill. It is a little over three miles long with lookout points and wide tree lined streets. City workers have been trimming trees and replanting long-lost trees to prepare for the boulevard's 100th birthday celebration.

1 comment:

musicats said...

Hi Blackbird,
My brother and family live in Seattle and love it. I know that the weather there is warmer than in Ohio (not very hard to do) Your pic is lovely. When the spring just begins to come I look out at the garden and say "there is nothing left after this long and hard winter--then gradually it starts to come on and now I look out and say oh my there is not enough room for it all. And it is beautiful. I agree with you about the economy. It has been hard and for some harder than I can imagine. But I do believe that we will come out of it and will be better for it (by the way, you posted on my blog about my cats and I loved it. Thanks.