Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Learning new things

I continue to spend my days learning new things. With the desire to sort, save and preserve our family photos, I have purchased a new scanner. Oh, I already have a scanner/printer that does a good job of basic tasks, but technology and scanners have come a long way.

The new scanner, an Epson, is able to scan not only photos but also negatives and slides. I haven't gotten to the negatives or slides yet but I will. There are so many choices to make when a scan is done and these choices effect the end result. But, I'm not sure what the end result will be and how someone, ten years from now, might want to use the photo. I do know that I only want to handle each photo at one time- I may not get the chance again.

So, for color photos, I am saving them in 24bit color and 300dpi resolution. This makes a larger file but if someone wants to enlarge a photo- the detail will be there to have a good result. I'm also scanning each photo twice- once in the original color and once with a setting called 'restore color'.

The photo above is in the original color of the old photo. It shows the original camels from Volunteer Park that were replaced by these.

The next photo was done with the color restoration setting. It's clearer, brighter and the colors are probably truer. The glass doors of the museum are the most wonderful shade of green/grey/blue in real life. And, I don't remember the pants at all.

What's sort of strange is that I think that I prefer the original color. I don't know if it's that my eye is used to seeing old photos that have changed colors and that is how I think of them. And that era.

I do think that it's nice to have a choice and so I will continue to save both versions of each photo. And there are even more choices available for black and white.

I don't mind learning but it does take time and can be frustrating. No- maddening! But, once you've mastered something and tucked it into your bag of tricks- you can move on to the next wonderful invention.

4 comments:

alaine@éclectique said...

That scanner's doing a great job! I must get a new one. DMJ has heaps of old slides and has recently been talking about getting shots taken off them. I didn't know a scanner could do slides; hope I can get it in Australia.

pinkfairygran said...

I am terrible at learning technical stuff from manuals, get bored with all the jargon but happily have a husband who can read it and then put it into simple language, so that along with a demonstration of what he means, I am there, ready to go with whatever it is.
I have been redoing my work room and found some old photos from my days of writing for county magazines, so maybe I can find something in there for rewriters, who knows? But isn't it fun finding and looking at old photos?

Jan Davis said...

I am hanging on like we are really moving fast! Nice pic

jaz@octoberfarm said...

hi...great blog..i just found you! i love your area of the country. i think you will like looking at mine as well. check it out when you have time:

octoberfarm.blogspot.com

hope you enjoy!