Sunday, May 31, 2009

The skies of May

Once I started taking one photo a day of the sky- I couldn't stop.

So, this is the sky of May this year with quite a lot of blue. In the early part of the month, temperatures stayed cool, particularly at night. Too cool to set out tomatoes and heat loving annuals without protection. Then, suddenly, it warmed up into 'unseasonably warm' temperatures.

All of these beautiful days happened while school is still in session. In Seattle, children usually get out of school the 18th or 19th of June (but sometimes as late as the 21st, and return to school the Wednesday after Labor Day in September. June is often cool, damp and grey with the warm weather returning after July 4th. We'll see this year.

The grey days this month tended to be clumped together- May 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 10th, 13th and the 18th and the 19th. The dark blue photo with the moon was taken on May 30th at 9:24pm.

I think that I'm hooked.

6 comments:

Pondside said...

That looks very much like our May sky - but that's not too surprising. The sky today was that wonderful blue that perfectly shows off the green of the cedars against it. June can be cool and rainy here, too. The only consolation is that we won't have to water the garden, but it's small consolation when we're waiting for the results of our May labours to show!

Eleonora Baldwin said...

What a great idea!

Sorry to be here visiting this late, but in my life presently, time seems like a luxury item.

Thanks for stopping by my place and becoming a regular at my little informal kitchen.

Ciao!

Rustic Pumpkin said...

WhooHoo! Love it. Something to look forward to each first of the month! Have you thought about making quilts out of the designs? I love the way it looks like part of a white, fluffy sheep in the bottom right.

Alma Allen said...

I love your idea of picturing the May skies! Our skies here in Kansas are washed out and almost white during the summer. You make me want to check them out daily now!

Pyzahn said...

Wow....what a beautiful collage of blue skies. How in the world did you do that?

The skies in the flatlands have been pretty topsy turvy lately. Makes me appreciate clear and blue all the more.

Cait O'Connor said...

I am a cloud and skywatcher and I just love this, what a great idea, thank you Blackbird.