Friday, June 19, 2009

School's out for summer!

It's been a busy, busy week with family in from out of town, parties and the last week of school. Seattle's schools start later in the fall than most schools across the country and the kids and parents are happy about that. School starts the Wednesday after Labor Day every year. But, the down side of the late start is that the kids are still in school well into the middle of June. Add a couple of snow days and here we are.

My son will be a senior next year and I've realized today that this will be my proper last day of school too. Next year will be different because the seniors end their year earlier in the month along with graduation festivities. With my children born 10 years apart- I've had years of living by the school calendar- setting morning schedules, vacations and homework routines. I'm quite happy to say goodbye to all of that.

We had a family party last Sunday to celebrate my nephew's new Masters degree in Accounting- with honors too. We're used to large gatherings because we're a large family but 35 of his friends and coworkers were invited too. Much food was prepared and served with no time to take photos for you.
I did a lot of driving around Seattle last weekend- picking up food and supplies for the party. The top photo is from the Fremont Bridge looking west down the Ship Canal. We were stopped for the bridge to go up to allow boats to pass through. This lovely old brick building is in Georgetown- one of the oldest neighborhoods in Seattle. It is nestled next to the train tracks and across the parking lot from our destination- the Georgetown Brewing Company.
I haven't been to a party with a keg for more years than I want to remember but it was the perfect solution for this summer party. Once it was unloaded from the car and iced down in a large bucket- it was a great tasting, economical, no-fuss way to serve so many young (and old) adults. It went perfectly with the pulled pork and beef brisket sandwiches and the five different kinds of salad. I would definitely order a keg again- they come in all sizes to fit the number of people. (Our keg was filled with Manny's Pale Ale.)

On a recycling note- the only garbage that we had from the party were the plastic forks- which we could have washed and reused. Under Seattle's new recycling plan- all of the paper plates and food went into yard waste and the plastic glasses went into recycle. We did sort it all the next day but it wasn't bad at all.

5 comments:

Pondside said...

That sounds like a great party! I've never tried pulled pork, but I'm guessing it's delicious.

I don't know how I missed your 'close call' post. What a couple of photos! I sometimes watch the activity in our inner harbour - the ships, the Coho Ferry, the sailboats and canoes, the kayaks and seaplanes - it is an intricate harbour ballet.

alaine@éclectique said...

A good cause to celebrate! Those beef brisket sandwiches sound yum.

T. said...

Manny's is great. I used to be an owner of Two Tartes (also on Airport Way) and I remember when they were just starting up. They used to have parties with the freshest beer imaginable!

Merisi said...

Pulled pork sandwiches sound delicious, haven't had any since I live in Vienna. We used to go down to South Carolina and Georgia during spring and fall breaks and eat as often as we could the pit bbq food there! At least they have good beer here, but I never order my own beer, steals only sips from others. ;-)

A happy summer to you!

Jan Davis said...

Is that my car on a beer run?