Saturday, October 17, 2009

An early grey morning

Our annual 'home away from home' is in the center of the town of Cannon Beach and just where the Ecola Creek flows down onto the beach. In years past, the creek has been a bit further north but after a couple of major storms in the last two winters- it has shifted south.

The weather during our stay was exceptionally wonderful- sunny and warm enough for short sleeves. The kind of weather that you would hope for in July and be lucky to get. But, even with the sunny days- we had our share of fog and mist.
I headed out around 7am the first morning to watch the birds on the beach. They were bathing and splashing in the fresh water of the creek and making quite a bit of noise.
It sounded a little like I can imagine that an African waterhole would sound like. Chirps, squeals and wings flapping.
I've been told by the locals that the first week of October is when the brown pelicans head past on their way to Mexico but I can't tell you which ones they might be. But, if you click on the photo- you'll see a ship on the horizon. The more that I have looked at these photos- the more I'm not sure if they're in focus or the birds are all moving or it's just the fog. Oh well, I like them.
I also love the silhouettes of people against the rock- even if they're people I don't know. There's a bird in this photo too- top right corner.

No comments: