Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Back from the beach

Cannon Beach that is- on the Oregon coast. The first thing that we did when we arrived just after 4pm was to dump our bags on the floor of our room and head to the beach. Haystack Rock holds the place of honor on this beach and makes it recognizable to anyone who's ever visited.
This is a shot of the town with the Coast Range behind it- just to the east of the Rock.
As I got closer to the Rock, the mists seemed to melt away. Haystack Rock, at 235 feet tall, is the world's third largest monolith.
Since 1985, it and its neighboring 'Needles' have comprised the Haystack Rock Marine Garden and National Wildlife Refuge. During the spring and summer months, volunteers are available to share information about plants, animals and birds. And to protect them from well meaning but misguided visitors.
After making my way to stand in front of the Rock and just wonder at it again- I turned to the north and walked back along the beach. To our rooms, the unpacking and dinner.

3 comments:

TIGGYWINKLE said...

Blackbird, I really enjoy reading about places I've never been. Looks like a lovely place.I will be blogging about Nice and Cannes in the south of France shortly.

Jennifer MacNeill said...

Wow, what a beautiful place!

T. said...

These are beautiful photos! Haven't been to Cannon Beach in years -- too long, in fact!