Sunday, July 26, 2009

Cool blue

It's been a sunny and warm summer in Seattle but this week is going to be hot! Reaching almost 100 degrees and warm at night for days in a row. And I hate it. There's no getting around it or apologizing for it but I hate the heat. And usually that's not a problem in Seattle.

So, we're taking a very short break from our rose parade and shifting to the cooler tones in the garden.

Which do you love more? Never a fair question whether you're talking about ice cream flavors, vacation spots or, heaven forbid- children. And it's not a fair question for garden flowers either.

So, another favorite plant of mine is the hydrangea and even in my tiny upper garden- I have a few. The flowers above were shot this morning and the colors are a rich and vibrant blue- almost periwinkle.
This is the same plant in early June when the flower heads are just starting to open. I love how the colors shift and change through the summer.
And even on the same plant. There are loads of specific, named varieties of hydrangeas but I don't know the names of any of mine- they are all foundlings. It is sometimes possible to change the color of the blossom by changing the ph of the soil. A more acidic soil tends to produce more blue flowers while a more alkaline soil will have pinker flowers.
I haven't tried that with any of my plants and I'm quite willing to take any flowers that I get. Two of my hydrangeas are planted in the ground and are huge bushes- a lacecap (Hydrangea macrophylla normalis) and a mophead (Hydrangea macrophylla). The rest are patiently waiting for me to finish a remodel on my house and then they can find their spot in the garden.

This little guy is showing the stress of life in a pot during a warm summer but he gives us a look ahead to the blossoms in the fall as the colors continue to shift and fade.

6 comments:

Rustic Pumpkin said...

So beautiful, and such a collection of hydrangea too! I do hope Jack isn't feeling the heat and has found a shady spot to lie. Waiting patiently now for my Stargazer lilies to burst forth, they seem to have lapsed into stasis!

Bee said...

I'm going to have to come back and admire your roses! I've just had a few peeks . . . but little daughter is nagging me to put her to bed.

I adore hydrangeas. I completely associate them with England, where they are ubiquitous at this time of year. Husband doesn't like them much: thinks they are twee. We have some unusual ones -- not the common blue and pink. I will try to unearth the names for you. Or perhaps send a picture?

Sorry about that dreadful heat. I had enough of it in Spain, and didn't mind coming back to cloudy, cool England.

Pondside said...

I planted my first hydrangea in this garden over the weekend. So many plants to try now that we are deer-free. I love the blue of your first pictured plant - gorgeous.
It's terribly hot up here too. We're not accustomed to such heat and are finding it difficult. Drapes closed during the day, and every door and window open overnight - it helps.

Kimberly said...

I like these cooler tones, Blackbird. Thinking of you and hope your managing ok. Miserable here too!! Makes ya long for Autumn, doesn't it! Take care~

Connie said...

BEAUTIFUL hydrangeas and roses! Those are both my favorite flowers.

Safi Crafts said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog Karen. I think we are over the worst of the heat now and you will be able to enjoy your cooler garden soon.