
Heading west, the next rose along the fence is Lavender Lassie (1959)- sort of a silly name, I think. This rose is a Hybrid Musk, a class of roses that were developed primarily by Reverend Joseph Pemberton of England in the early 20th century. They are noted for their shrub-like growth, their scent, their repeat bloom and their clusters of flowers.

I actually have two of these plants because when I moved my first to its new location further along the fence, a new plant grew up again from the remaining bits of roots. I prefer to buy my roses grown on their own roots instead of being grafted onto another type of root stock. The roses that I tend to chose are usually old roses, English roses from David Austin or shrub roses like the Hybrid Musks and they are strong, unfussy plants- not like many of the tea roses. Which works for me because I don't pamper my roses. No extra food, no spray- only lots of water in the summer. I am thinking that they are due for some compost to be added to their sandy soil- I'll do it later this fall.

The flowers of the Lavender Lassie are rarely seen singly but rather in a cluster or candelabra of buds. These can be tricky to deadhead as it's easy to cut too much. I've found that each cluster starts with one bud in the center beginning to flower. If you just nip that off when it's done, the rest of the cluster will continue to flower and look tidy.

The plant is a tall one- I keep mine at about 5 feet but it could easily go higher. I tie mine in along the fence which keeps it out of the sidewalk and encourages more flowers.

This is a shot from my porch- 19 steps above the street. The rose on the left is my transplanted Lavender Lassie and the one on the right is Belle Story- but we will get to her.
1 comment:
Well, I think it is a lovely bloom, and the name sounds Scottish despite the English origins. I love your Rose of Sharon header. I live near Vale of the Roses, and many mistake it for 'roses', but it is actually named after the Sharon Rose which once proliferated there.
Post a Comment