Thursday, July 30, 2009

Hot! Hot! Hot! Oregano?

It has been a new kind of hot here in Seattle. We've broken the all time records for the hottest day and the hottest night- ever. And, I think that it's almost over. Yesterday, the temperature soared to 103 (39.4) degrees and stayed there for a while. And today, it was only (!) 96 (35.5) degrees. Only!

In the morning, you would see people and their dogs out for their walks but by mid-afternoon, the streets were empty as people stayed inside or went to the beach. Even the birds seemed to be absent. But, the bees were out in force.

Several years ago, I planted three different varieties of oregano in my front garden. I found the labels from two of them- Greek Oregano (Origanum pristimaticum) and something called Hot and Spicy Oregano. The third label is lost but I think that it was Italian Oregano. The three plants have grown and thrived in the hot, planting space by the front stairs. And each year, I have let them flower and the bees have come.

I don't often see true honey bees in my neighborhood but they are here on the oregano flowers.
And the black and yellow bumblebees.
And even some of the brown and yellow bumblebees. I have a book on bumblebees somewhere on my shelves and there are many kinds of bumblebees out there.
But, what I'm wondering about is the oregano. In the above photo, you can see that there are two different kinds of oregano here- the one with the little dark green leaves and little flower clusters and the one with a sort of bundle of flower to come. It reminds me a bit of a Spanish lavender.

But, what I have found is that, in spite of their differences- their leaves are too hot to eat. Taking a nibble of a leaf will make your tongue go numb for a while. All of them, regardless of the variety) seem to be very hot and spicy. Have I done anything wrong? What use is there for an herb so hot that it numbs your mouth?
I plan to keep some of it around because it gives the bees so much pleasure but I would love to be able to use it in the kitchen. Maybe dried?

I think that I feel a cooling breeze..... well, there's always hope.
(oh, and the bee in the last photo is in the upper left corner- click on the photo to see him. thank goodness that they don't mind the camera!)

3 comments:

alaine@éclectique said...

It would be lovely in your bread. Yes, dry it out first.

Rustic Pumpkin said...

One of my favourite herbs. My two are a dusky pink and a creamy white in colour, the white having a variagated leaf. Bees just LOVE it! My labels went a long time ago, but neither of mine are hot, hot, hot (or is that the weather? lol) I am sure there must be something you could use it for? A woman of your culinary talents will come up with something! I put the flower~laden stems in small arrangements with dianthus and Alchemilla Mollis too.

Frances said...

Thank you for your generous comment! I think that my pre-air conditioning Virginia childhood prepared me to go slow when the heat is turned up. Drink lots of water.

Have a good, quiet fan keeping the air circulating. (And I do go to work in air conditioning during most days.) In a pinch, there is always a movie theatre or museum nearby.

xo