Saturday, July 11, 2009

Linden trees, a scent of summer

I have come to my love of linden trees in a sort of backwards way. Part of my morning walk with Jack takes me along the boulevard and under its canopy of trees. I had thought that the trees were a mix of maples and oaks but a couple of years ago- I noticed the most wonderful scent hanging in the warm summer air.
The scent is strong, sweet and heavy. And now, it smells like summer to me. There are two varieties of Lindens or Limes as they are also known (Tilia cordata and Tilia platyphyllos) planted here- small and large leafed lindens. There doesn't seem to me to be much of a difference except that about the time that one variety is done with blooming- the other starts.
The second wave of bloom along my walk is just starting- this photo was taken 2 days ago.
But, the earlier bloom is finishing up as this photo taken on July 4th shows- don't they look sort of like little fireworks?

It is such a joy to walk through such scent-laden air but I can imagine that it would be difficult to escape the scent if you lived close to one. They are also messy trees- always dropping something- right now, the streets are covered with caramel colored pollen and blossoms.
Lindens also seem to react to trauma at their base of their trunk- from a mower perhaps. For whatever reason, the tree starts to grow new shoots from the base.
When these are trimmed back- it only encourages more to grow.

But, messy or not, lindens have a long association with people who have valued their leaves and flowers either medicinally or as a tea. Another name for the linden is basswood and their wood is prized for fine carving, models and musical instruments. But, when I think of lindens, I think of rows of tall trees whose leafy canopies shade wide streets around the world. And I hear the drone of bees as they collect the scented pollen for their honey. And I think of summer.

So, you can imagine how delighted I am to have a Linden scent of my favorite soap. A beautiful shade of pale green- exactly the same shade as the narrow ribbon-like bract that nestles with the blossoms.
It doesn't matter now whether I fell in love with the soap or the flowering trees on my walk because now, I have the scent of summer- any time of year.

14 comments:

Chris Stovell said...

I shall have to find a linden to sniff now after your interesting post!

Jude said...

We use alot of tea here in Crete made from the dried flowers of the linden.. tilio!

Norma Murray said...

I know exactly what you mean about the scent of lime tree flowers. I went to a school where they were all round the edge of the playground. Just one whiff sends me right back to those times.

CAMILLA said...

How lovely Blackbird, the scent of the Linden tree's sound wonderful.

I now have the picture in my mind of that wonderful walk you take with Jack.

xx

Faith said...

Mmm wish I could smell it! Love the soap with the dove(?) on it!

Frances said...

Thank you, Blackbird, for that wonderful appreciation of the linden tree. I know there must be some in Central Park, and I will now have to search them out.

Your photos prove to me that I have seen them, lots of them. Now I just have to remember where. xo

alaine@éclectique said...

Ooh, I want to know what it smells like too. When I was a girl, there was a street in the area called Linden Street, three hours away from me now. It was a shady street; perhaps they were Lindens.

I must keep an eye out for the soap - I might Google Pre de Provence.

Kimberly said...

oh that soap, Blackbird, it's one of my favorites. And I think that company also makes a shea butter hand cream. Hmm...I feel a visit to a local downtown specialty shop coming. Beautiful photos and hello to Jack! :)

Rustic Pumpkin said...

The air 'looks' so cool in that avenue of linden trees. Linden blossom tea is such a thirst quencher ~ when you can find it!

Vibeke said...

thank you so much for leaving me lovely words at my blog!

i love a glass lindenflowersoda with a slice of lemon in..mmmmmm :)

Pondside said...

It's a heavenly scent, isn't it?
I'll have to look for that soap and treat myself.

herhimnbryn said...

Oh, thankyou for this post. I have never seen a linden tree and now want to inhale it's perfume. A very evocative post.

ArtSparker said...

There is a lovely story by E.T.A. Hoffman, The Golden Flowerpot, that begins with an enchanted (non-threatening) snake speaking to the hero from a linden tree. But I did not know so much about them.

Marie said...

This is silly, as it is September and I am working my way backwards though your posts...loved the rose pictures and posts, and love the linden. My favourite summer smell, and I didn't know about this sopa. "My" soap is Wild Forest Pansy (!) made by Claus Porto, which has lots of good scents, but not Linden. I may defect...