Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The end of March

Nineteen days of March were below average in temperature- some were quite below average. But, that means that I'm not as behind in my spring gardening chores as I should be because spring is just as late as I am.

Today is garbage day on the Hill and the start of a new system of collection. The company that has collected garbage in Seattle for the past 70 years has been outbid and we have a new company. Usually the streets are full of trucks by this time of the morning- they start at 7am sharp- especially at your house if you've not put out your cans the night before. I usually have at least 16 or 17 trucks that go past the house, following some strange kind of route. And making Jack crazy. But, just back from our morning walk, I have only seen 1 truck today- so far. Hoping for more later.

Yard waste collection is going weekly, along with garbage, and leaving only recycling to be picked up every two weeks. Households are to put all of their kitchen scraps and greasy paper waste into the yard waste cans. And unless you state that you will compost in your yard- everyone must have a yard waste can.

I've been collecting my kitchen scraps for over a year now and I'm still amazed at how much bulk they take up. What I'm unsure about is the plan to now include in the yard waste some of the rest of what comes out of a kitchen- meat scraps, bones, cheese and other greasy items. Commercials on television show tossing your entire turkey carcass into the can. It just doesn't seem right on so many levels.

2 comments:

Pondside said...

Garbage, recyling,composting - it takes such a lot of thinking-ahead to keep ahead of it all! Up here we have to contract individually to have it all taken away and it really is the luck of the draw whether you get a good service provider or not.
I've just caught up on some of your recent posts. I had to laught at the nutella post! The Great Dane likes nothing more than nutella and cheese (Danish, of course)on his breakfast toast.

Rustic Pumpkin said...

Oh, Blackbird, this recycling caper is not easy, is it? We have all our collections go on one day, there is the Orange bag for the recycling (but must not contain a long list of things) and the Black bag for everything else. If you want Green bag collection for garden waste, then you pay extra. I have some catching up to do, but am slowly working out the finer art of blogging!