No, I'm not recycling my woes, although I could.Instead I'm sharing with you the difficulties of being green. I have a hard time letting anything that is recyclable into the garbage. But, especially glass jars.
Each of these Nutella jars held 26.5 oz. of nutella.
They arrived at my house last fall by way of the last three of my daughter's residences. They had an expiration date on them from 2002. I've tried to use several other such items from her house (like cake mix) and had terrible results. There truly is a time limit on food.
Last week, in cleaning up- I decided to tackle these jars. The simplest thing would have been to put them in the garbage but I couldn't do that. First, I thought that I could add the nutella to my kitchen garbage headed for my garden recycle but that would just make more mess to clean up. Then, I considered putting the contents down my garbage disposal but I've had bad experiences dealing with bulk food stuff in that way.
My final solution was to empty the contents, spoonful by spoonful, into long blue newspaper bags. Many people use these to pick up after their dogs when they are out on walks. Needless to say, it became increasingly difficult for me to fill the bags but I managed. The bags went into the garbage and the jars, nice and clean, went into the recycle.
I've never eaten Nutella and I'm not sure what kind of texture it has but I don't think that my jars held anything that was still eatable. And when I go to try it, I'll not buy it at Costco.
No comments:
Post a Comment